Search all of our recipes
Almond Wheel Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Cocobella Straight Up coconut water
- 1 tbsp. vanilla bean extract
- 150g dark chocolate, melted
- 80g butter, chopped into chunks
- 3-4 cups icing sugar, gluten free
- 3-4 tbsp. almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF) and line a cupcake pan with patty liners, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond meal, cacao, baking soda and salt until well combined, set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, water and vanilla.
- Gently fold wet mixture into dry, mixing until well combined and smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly amongst cupcake liners, filling each liner nearly to the top rim.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes
- Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a double boiler over low-medium heat, melt dark chocolate. Begin frosting whilst chocolate melts, occasionally stirring.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add butter. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the butter for 30 seconds or until just soft.
- Gradually add icing sugar, 1 cup at a time.
- If chocolate is melted, turn off heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of almond milk after each addition of icing sugar until mixture is smooth and comes together.
- Add melted white chocolate and beat mixture for a further 1-2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add more icing sugar or almond milk until desired consistency.
- Frosting should be smooth, easy to pipe and holds its shape.
- Prepare a piping bag with a large closed star nozzle (I used a size 11).
- Fill piping bag with frosting and pipe rounds on each cupcake.
Serve and Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 4-5 days.
You may also like...
Free recipe e-book
Sign up to Cocobella Monthly for exclusive recipes, prizes & more!