Summer is here and the fresh tropical recipes from our community this month had us searching for the sunscreen. There’s a lime splice smoothie, pineapple upside down cake, fresh smoothie bowls and a delicious protein loaf for those who like to keep hitting the gym over the warmer months. Thank you to everyone who enters each month!! Tag us with @purecocobella or #cocobellarecipe
Pineapple Upside Down Cake by @losing_my_vegan_virginity
A lightly sweet and moist cake that’s very easy to make – one bowl only.
- one 425gm tin sliced pineapple rings
- 210gms Cocobella coconut yoghurt
- Caramelised Pineapple Sauce I used @poppysmacksauce which is perfect for this
- 3x flaxeggs (1 flaxegg is 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed to 2 Tbsp water
- 60gms desiccated coconut
- 120gms brown sugar
- 200gms dairy free spread
- 160gms plain flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- zest of 1/4 of a lime
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- Preheat oven to 180⁰ celsius
- Lightly wipe a round springform cake pan with dairy free spread to avoid cake sticking. (Oil wont work the same as a substitute)
- Cut each ring of pineapple in half and arrange at bottom of pan like the picture
- Pour a bit of caramelised pineapple sauce on top of pineapple that are in the cake pan
- In a mixing bowl add all the other ingredients and use an electric mixer to combine to make cake batter
- The cake batter will be quite sticky so do your best to get it off the beaters and spread over the top of the pineapple in the cake pan
- Bake for 45 minutes. Check to see if its cooked in the middle using a knife. If it comes out clean you’re good.
- Flip cake onto a plate and drizzle over more caramelised pineapple sauce and serve with dollops of cocobella coconut yoghurt
Splice Smoothie Recipe by @youknowchlo
Nothing says summer quite like something lime splice.
- 250 mL of coconut water
- 250 mL of vanilla coconut yoghurt
- 1 cup of frozen pineapple
- 1 passionfruit
- 1/2 juice of a lime
- 1 tsp of spirulina
- 1 tsp of matcha powder
- Kelp powder
- MCT oil
- Simply pop it all into a blender and pulse until smooth!
- Top with extra passionfruit and fresh pineapple
Loaded açai bowls by @theblooming_foodie
Antioxidants for days in these smoothie bowls.
- 4 frozen bananas
- 4 açai packets
- 1 cup Cocobella coconut water
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Add to a bowl and top with your favourite fruits, granola and nut butter!
Choc Pumpkin Protein Bread by @balancebyelise
This high protein loaf will have you working out and recovering like Elise all summer long.
- 1 cup pumpkin pureed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk *you may need more depending on the protein you use.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 heaped tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 2 serves (60g) VEGAN vanilla protein
- 1.25 cups oat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 4 squares dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees, fan-forced.
- Add all the wet ingredients to a bowl and combine. Then add in the dry ingredients (excluding the chocolate) and mix until well combined.
- Fold through the chopped chocolate.
- Transfer into a loaf baking tin and place in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring onto a wire baking rack to cool completely. Then slice and enjoy!
VEGAN OPTION: simply sub the eggs for vegan eggs & make sure you use a vegan chocolate!
Blueberry Overnight Oats by @nourish.flourish.flow
These clean, high fibre overnight oats are perfect for any summer morning.
- 2 Cups Wholegrain Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Frozen Blueberries
- 3 Tbsp LSA
- 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Hemp Seeds
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tsp Mixed Spice
- 3 – 4 Cups Coconut water (or enough to cover above ingredients)
- Diced Mango
- Cocobella Vanilla Yoghurt
- Peanut Butter
- Sunflower Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, give it a good stir.
- Allow to soak overnight (or if you just can’t wait…. at least 2-3 hours).
- Once the wait is over… serve it on up!